Sunday, April 13, 2014

Progress on the trailer floor is coming along
Hello and welcome to my build log for my custom teardrop trailer.

My name is Jon and I'm building a 4x8 trailer that is named after the sea goddess "Calypso".

My design will be a fusion of several classic teardrop shapes and, from the looks of it, may very well earn it's name as a new class of teardrop unto itself. To say that it will be a memorable sight going down the road, once I have the custom paint job finished, will be an understatement!

These little trailers have quite a history and I'm certainly not the first to build one. That said, I'm taking my own unique tack on building mine and hope you enjoy watching as I build mine from the ground up.

This is the first time I've ever built a teardrop and I've learned plenty in this first few weeks of getting the project going. The project is actually almost seven years old, with my having started it in 2008 only to have to put it aside after my father became ill and required nearly constant 24x7 care until his passing in 2012.

I had progressed up to the point of building the trailer, a nice model from Redtrailers.com, and then had to set it aside, parked under a tree where, in late March of 2014, I pulled it out and began to clean up everything. Rust had set in, but not badly and I managed to get things cleaned up quickly enough.

As of mid-April, I've made a lot of progress. The sub-floor and main floor of the trailer are now built and nearly ready to mate to the trailer itself and I've removed all the components that do not need to be on the trailer and have the following steps to accomplish in the coming week:

  • The trailer will need buffing to bring the paint back and if that doesn't work, then it will get a couple of coats of black Rustoleum.
  • The wooden sub-floor will be coated with asphalt water proofer after being mated to the frame. I will be drilling out the holes to mate the entire floor to the trailer frame as well.
  • The trailer frame needs to be set so it will no longer fold, as this was a folding model.
  • I will mount the power conduit to drive the trailer turn signals and brake lights plus test it all.
  • I will get the trailer licensed for the road and test it out for a first run to insure it all holds up well.
I've been shooting videos of progress to date, so I'll share the two videos so far and will keep you updated with progress at roughly one week intervals.

Video #1 - Early April

Video #2 - 

Video #2 - Mid April


2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are blogging about your project. I am looking forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I - It is still a long way from finished!

      Delete